Delegation is the sharing of legitimate work, in any direction, to any other individual or team. In our work as leadership coaches we often encounter leaders who are struggling to delegate so if this is you, you are not alone! To be a successful delegator you must develop trust in others and take calculated risks as they accomplish a task that may be unfamiliar. The big payoff is that they will grow in their capability as you challenge them with more.
There are six steps to delegating successfully:
1. Define the importance of the task.
2. Discuss the outcome that is required
3. Negotiate the authority that the person needs to undertake and complete the task
4. Discuss the resources that are necessary for the successful accomplishment of the task
5. Determine a mutually acceptable time line
6. Agree a feedback loop: There are three elements to this:
Some questions to reflect on: